Justice Will Be Served for Edo Killings, Says Okpebholo

Governor Monday Okpebholo of Edo State has assured that justice will be done for the 16 northern travelers who were killed in Uromi, Edo State. He made this statement during his visit to Kano, where he met with the state government and the affected families to express his condolences over the tragic event.

Okpebholo shared details of the swift response by authorities, revealing that 14 suspects have already been taken into custody in connection with the killings. He also described how the news of the attack affected him personally, explaining that he did not hesitate to take immediate action.

“The incident in Uromi felt personal to me. I received the information at night, and by 4 a.m., I was already set to travel there. I couldn’t wait to board an aircraft because I needed to be there as soon as possible,” he said.

The Edo governor further noted that both the state and federal governments are actively working to bring the perpetrators to justice. He confirmed that President Bola Tinubu was deeply concerned about the attack and had given direct orders for security agencies to track down those responsible.

“So far, we have arrested about 14 suspects. The Inspector General of Police has directed the Deputy Inspector General (DIG) at Force Headquarters to take over the investigation. After the holiday, the suspects will be transferred to Abuja for further interrogation, and more arrests will follow,” Okpebholo stated.

Responding to the incident, Kano State Governor Abba Yusuf strongly opposed any form of retaliation, urging citizens to allow the legal system to handle the matter.

“Reprisal is not the solution because it affects innocent people. As leaders, we must come together to fight this unfortunate trend. People should not take the law into their own hands; it is unconstitutional and should be avoided,” he said.

Governor Yusuf also called on security agencies to publicly parade the suspects, stressing that it would help reassure the victims’ families and the people of Kano.

“We want to see the perpetrators physically paraded. That will bring some relief to the families and the people of Kano,” he stated.

He further urged the authorities to ensure that the suspects are prosecuted and that justice is served.

“We appeal to security agencies to present them to the public and ensure they face trial. They must reap what they have sown, and the families of the victims should be compensated. We trust that all promises made in this regard will be fulfilled,” he added.

Total
0
Shares
Previous Post

Otti Mourns as One Dies, Eight Injured in Abia JTF Crash

Next Post

Nigerian Army Cracks Down on Oil Theft, Arrests 39 Suspects in Niger Delta

Related Posts