Plateau Attack: Death Toll Hits 52, as Security Forces Intensify Operations

The number of people killed during violent attacks on communities in Plateau State’s Bokkos Local Government Area has risen to 52. The chairman of the Bokkos Cultural Development Council (BCDC), Farmasum Fuddang, shared this information while confirming that more bodies were found as security forces advanced into affected areas.

The attacks took place on Wednesday across five villages—Pyakmal, Ruwi, Hurti, Manguna, and Daffo—where unknown gunmen carried out what residents described as sudden and brutal assaults. Initially, around 20 people were reported dead. However, by Friday, the death toll increased significantly as more remains were recovered, especially in remote areas.

“So far, 52 dead bodies were recovered in various villages, including 4 in Pyakmal, 11 in Ruwi, 36 in Hurti, 4 in Manguna and 1 in Daffo. We are still awaiting updates from ongoing search-and-rescue operation for missing persons,” said Fuddang.

Survivors of the attacks are being escorted by security personnel to temporary shelters set up for displaced persons. The situation remains tense as search efforts continue in the affected communities, and many families remain uncertain about the fate of their missing relatives.

Security officials also confirmed that arrests have been made. Brigadier-General Gakji Shipi (retd), the acting coordinator of Operation Rainbow and adviser to Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang, noted that suspects had been apprehended and were being interrogated.

“A lot of communities have been razed and casualties recorded… Gladly, the security agencies have made arrests that are helping us to unveil what has gone wrong,” he said.

He further noted the attacks may have been carried out by individuals seeking to profit from ongoing insecurity, adding that there was no known provocation for the violence. “There was no form of provocation whatsoever to what happened,” he stated.

Troops operating under Operation Safe Haven (OPSH) have also been active in the area. According to spokesperson Major Samson Zhakom, the attacks were met with resistance by soldiers, who were able to repel the attackers and recover weapons and motorcycles.

“Troops made contact, overwhelmed and forced the attackers to abandon 1 AK-47 rifle and 6 motorcycles… One locally fabricated pistol, 6 rounds of 9mm and 4 motorcycles were recovered,” Major Zhakom reported.

He said military operations are ongoing and troops are continuing to patrol the general area to prevent further violence and capture any remaining suspects.

Meanwhile, local youth leaders are calling for calm. The Plateau Youth Council (PYC) asked residents to avoid taking matters into their own hands and to allow security forces to handle the investigation and response.

“These are provocations we are familiar with… We appeal to the youth to be calm and allow law enforcement agencies to do their jobs,” said Panan Gongden, chairman of the PYC.

Former federal lawmaker Dachung Bagos also reacted to the incident. Through a statement issued by his media aide, he condemned the killings and repeated his call for the establishment of state police.

He called for stronger efforts to protect communities, especially as the rainy season begins and farming activities resume. “His thoughts are with the families affected by these senseless losses, which have left lasting scars on the community and beyond,” the statement read.

Total
0
Shares
Previous Post

Kebbi Suspends Perm Sec for Claiming State, Sokoto Have More Gays, Lesbians

Next Post

JUST IN:Suspected Herdsmen Attack Benue Again, Kill Security Guard Killed Near Otobi Dam

Related Posts